Items on eBay

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Double Recipe Disaster: Failed Peanut Butter Fudge and Pate de Fruit

While I successfully did make two tempered chocolate candies for the August Daring Bakers' Challenge, they were only half the story. I also had two flops. But I refused to surrender to defeat and took my two failures and turned them into a delicious success!

Peanut Butter and Jelly Ice Cream with Fudge Crumb Topping

That's what you make when your peanut butter fudge fails. I think the recipe I used forgot to mention to remove the pot from the heat source after reaching the proper temperature so I overcooked it.

The fudge literally turned into a fairly soft brick that I had to chip and chisel to release from the pan.

The thing is, while it looked awful it tasted great and I hated to throw it out.

So I used a strainer and separated the crumbs from the chunks.

Like many of the other Daring Bakers my Pate de Fruit was undercooked and didn't set. Pate de Fruit (pronounced pat-de-fwee) is a gumdrop like confection but it's made using pure fruit puree so the flavor of the fruit is natural and it's softer and less chewy than a gumdrop.

I wasn't really surprised. Everything was working against me. First I couldn't find liquid pectin that the recipe shared on the Daring Bakers website called for so I found a different recipe online that used powdered pectin.

But then my kitchen scale broke. Problematic because the only powdered recipe I could find was in grams and my back up scale was in ounces only. This is a problem because you can't convert all gram measurements to ounces because volume measurement and weight measurement can vary by density, blah, blah, blah.

So in short: The odds were against me.

So I emptied out my paper cups of jelly like Pate de Fruit into a bowl and chilled it in the fridge.

Then I made a fresh batch of Ben and Jerry's French vanilla ice cream. It takes about 20 minutes.

When the ice cream was done I dumped it in a casserole and threw in the chunks of peanut butter fudge.

I mixed them in and put in the freezer for a few minutes. I did this because my ice cream was pretty soft and I didn't want the fudge to all settle on the bottom.

After the ice cream had set for about 15 minutes I took it out and dumped the strawberry jelly on top.

I swirled it into the ice cream with a spoon and put back in fridge to set a bit more. Later I scooped it out into a plastic tub when the fudge was suspended in the ice cream.

The end result was pretty good. While the fudge is just a bit grainy the peanut flavor is great and the sweet strawberry jelly reminded me of those little plastic parfait cups you had as a kid that come with the little wooden spoon.

So all in all I turned my two flops into a pretty darn good success. Just goes to show there's always hope and you should never give up on things that look bad but taste good :D

If you liked this post you'll enjoy these Bakers' Challenges too:

• January 2011: Fancy Joconde Imprime Entremet
• February 2011: Panna Cotta and Florentine Cookies
• March 2011: Meringue Coffee Cakes
• April 2011: Maple Mousse in an Edible Container
• May 2011: Chocolate, Tequila and a Blow Torch!

0 Click Here to Comment:

Post a Comment

YAY! No Registration Needed to Leave a Comment :)

Just look for the orange "Comment" link after the time stamp at the foot of each post and click on it, or click on the post title and the comment box will appear on the page at the base of the post when it reopens.

Comments that are Spam off topic, contain profanity, lewdness, promote violence, hate speech or any form of discrimination will either be modified or will not be posted. Click Here for a detailed list of this blog's policies.

You are welcome to make a link of your name using the Name/URL option to guide readers to your website.

Please do NOT post a string of keywords as your name. Comments received in this fashion will either not be published or the link will be removed. The Flirty Blog reserves the right to modify, delete or decline to publish comments that are considered to be off topic or SPAM.