An update from the Helping Janet Facebook Page: While Janet continues to fight Leukemia and search for her life saving marrow match, two other patients have found matches through drives held on Janet's behalf.
That's two more lives that may be saved if all goes well post transplant. Two people who have been given a second chance. And even though 54,000 people join the registry each month, approximately 70% of patients will never find their match. The registry desperately needs more people to join and be willing to donate their marrow to help save these lives.
Young Hannah Marsh she was one of the lucky ones. After no match was found for her in the US registry the international registry was searched. And of the 14 million people worldwide who had joined only one was her match, a young man in Germany. And he donated. And Heather survived. This video shows the heartwarming moment when Heather and Patrick met for the first time three years after her transplant. If you have any doubt that one person can make a difference please watch this video and know you could be someone's Patrick. You can save a patient's life.
You might be Janet's only match.
How can you help Janet and other patients?
1. If you aren't already in the bone marrow registry please JOIN NOW. Registering is pain free and donating almost is.
2. If you are in the registry and are contacted please donate. A shocking percentage of those contacted decline to donate when told they are a patient's best match.
3. I know a lot of times we look away because a problem feels too immense or we feel too helpless to do anything about it but there are lots of things you can do to help Janet:
- Email the link to this video http://youtu.be/qSCyz8F_kuo to everyone you know or add it to your email signature.
- Blog about her. To learn more about Janet visit her website at: http://www.helpingjanet.com/
- Tweet about or retweet this post
- Join her Facebook Group for her latest updates: http://www.facebook.com/helpingjanet
- Print and post the PDF Flyer and tear away tags to help motivate others to help
If you live in Canada there is a new, high resolution, Canadian Flyer you can download to Help Janet.